Challenge yourself on the unique PoliceNow Graduate Leadership Development Programme
The Police Now Leadership Development Programme is an innovative new programme that’s putting exceptional graduates on the frontline of the capital’s most challenged communities.
As part of the programme there will be the opportunity to transform communities on a two year programme that will stretch and test graduates in the toughest of settings. It’s a unique foundation for a leadership career in or outside the police.
Here are some summary points on the Police Now Graduate Leadership Development Programme:
· Plan to place 50 graduates into policing (this year in London only).
· There will only be 6 weeks between application and offer
· Successful applicants will be put through a six week intensive summer training academy
· They will then be placed in some of the toughest communities in London and expected to make decisions.
· They will be called ‘Ward Officers’ and will be in charge of a ward (of which there are 23 in London. A ward is an area with around 25 streets.)
· The scheme is being rolled out in London first and then may be expanded through the UK.
· Requirements: 300 UCAS points and a 2:1 in any subject
· Have to be eligible to work in the UK
This scheme is not for the faint-hearted. They are looking for tenacious, driven individuals who are proactive, problem solvers and ready to take on responsibility immediately. They present themselves as offering a ‘unique challenge to the best graduates’.
PoliceNow argue that they have something different to offer graduates, i.e. the opportunity to take on responsibility immediately, be challenged and make a difference. The graduate will have the opportunity to build transferable skills at speed. In their second year of the programme if the graduate doesn’t want to stay within the police for their career they will have the opportunity to do an internship elsewhere to help develop their future career path.
Police Now officially launched on the 1st of October and applications are open now! Places will be filled on an on-going basis and assessment days will start running in November and continue until February.
The application process will fall into three stages:
First – Online application and testing
Second – Verbal and numerical testing
Third – Competency based questions at a one day assessment centre in London (applicants will be asked to re-take the verbal and numeracy test on that day). They will also be required to do an in-tray exercise, presentation and role-play
At the assessment centre they will be looking for the following seven key competencies:
- Solving problems innovatively
- Communicate with impact
- Desire to serve the public
- Managing self
- Leading others
- Working with partners and stake-holders
- Delivering successfully
£29K a year starting salary and free travel in London.
22 days annual leave a year
Please look at http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/graduates/index.html for more info and keep checking CareerCentral events to find out when PoliceNow will be visiting campus.