What and who they look for:
- Students from all disciplines – you don’t have to be an accountancy student to become an accountant!
- languages – said they have noticed that more and more clients are doing international business which creates opportunities for language speakers.
- Communication skills
- Commercial acumen – in interview questions they are looking for not just the graduate’s interpretation of a particular event that has taken place but ‘their view on it’.
- Some will accept a 2:2 and some have the ability to sponsor Tier 2 visas
Benefits of working for a mid-sized firm:
- Get a wide range of experience in audit, accountancy and taxation
- Get a variety of experience with different sizes and types of clients
- Opportunity to take on early responsibility
- Personal treatment and accessibility to the partners
- Work life balance tends to be much better than with the larger firms
- Progression route tends to be, controller, supervisor, manager, partner
- Starting salary £21K in London and £19K outside. After three years working and once qualified this can progress to £38-40K.